This quick guide may be useful to anyone looking to install Sage 50 Accounts 2013 on a Windows 8 machine. If you have already attempted to install the software, there’s a chance you have run into an error regarding the installation of .NET v2/3.5 which is required for the installation to continue.
This error is likely to occur if you are working from a domain computer which is connected to a WSUS server. The client computer will be looking to connect to the internet to download .NET updates from Microsoft’s servers, but will be unable to do so due to WSUS rules telling it to check the domain server instead. As you are given no option to check the Microsoft Update servers at this time, you will require a workaround before the Sage installation will continue:
This workaround requires you have the Windows 8 installation media to hand!
- Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD
- Run a command prompt with administrator rights (right click on ‘CMD’ and select ‘Run as administrator’).
- Type the following: Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:X:sourcessxs /LimitAccess (replace ‘X’ with the correct drive letter for your CD/DVD drive)
- Press enter. You will be presented with a progress bar, do not close the command prompt until this process has finished! Your computer will now install the correct .NET modules directly from the DVD, rather than attempting to download them from Microsoft.
- Reboot your computer and start the Sage installation again.