The Government has the following objectives for the Broadband Delivery Programme:
1. Objective 1: To support economic growth in the UK, including in rural areas
2. Objective 2: To ensure this country has the best Superfast Broadband in Europe by the end of this parliament (2015):
- To ensure access to Superfast Broadband (through whatever medium) is extended to as great a proportion of communities in the UK as possible;
- To ensure the market place provides the ability for Consumers to access Superfast Broadband at an affordable price;
- Where the private sector is unlikely to deliver similar services on a commercial basis;
- By May 2015.
3. Objective 3:To ensure delivery of Standard Broadband to virtually all communities in the UK within the lifetime of this parliament (2015):
- Where it is not economic to deliver Superfast Broadband;
- To ensure the market place provides the ability for all Customers to access Standard Broadband at an affordable price;
- Where possible, to allow for future upgrades to Superfast Broadband;
- By May 2015.
4. Objective 4:To ensure the efficient use of funding to deliver Superfast Broadband and Standard Broadband:
- For public funding provided within the UK;
- For public funding available through other (e.g. European) sources; and
- To encourage the leveraging of private funding.
5. Objective 5:To assist other Government initiatives which are dependent upon Customers ability to access Broadband based services:
- Where related regulation or policy is being amended;
- Where digital inclusion is being addressed; and
- Where local communities can become involved in the solution